Friday, March 18, 2011

Interview 2: If you were told you were going to die, how would you live?

I'm so excited to share this next interview with you. It's my second interview in the Celebration series. A snapshot into the lives of other women. And this snapshot...even the whole photo album, it's an awesome journey...enjoy! 

InterviewIf you were given a second chance at life, what would you with it? Meet Julie Wilkes, her medical chart reads: miracle.

She’s also in the running for covergirl for Fitness Magazine, a fitness entrepreneur (www.juliewilkes.com), and the founder of Julie’s Wish Charity.

As a child Julie always knew that she was born with an under-developed heart. Not expected to live past childhood, she beat the odds, and then again living past adolescence.

So with a new lease of life and an enlightened perspective, what’s a girl to do but follow Oprah’s advice, read The Secret, and put her wishes out into the universe.

Q. How did your hugest obstacle become your passion?
A teacher showed me how to think of my heart as a muscle and to strengthen it with exercise. And that empowered me. Teachers can make a difference. This teacher became my coach. That was my "Aha Moment" and I was only in fifth grade. 

Q. I know The Secret inspired you? What did you put out into the universe?
A.   I knew that I was given the gift of a second chance at life – and that a gift is only as good as what you do with it.  I wanted to be able to pay forward and inspire the world through my work, but wasn’t sure how to take that first step.  The Secret says to ‘give your dreams, hopes and desires to The Universe’ – and so I wrote down on a piece of paper what I wanted to happen in my life –  what doors would need to open in order for me to go in that direction (i.e. finances, opportunities, etc).  Within two weeks, all of the things I put down on paper became a reality – and I knew I was on the right track!  I spoke to ‘The Universe’ and it spoke right back!

Q. Were there any other books that inspired you?
A. Paulo Coelho’s The Alchemist. If you haven't read it, you'll love it. It's an amazing book that taught me about living life authentically and passionately.

Q. When you’re feeling overwhelmed, what’s your anchor?
A. My mom always told me “there are no ordinary moments” and that’s how I choose to live my life, trying to focus on the extra-ordinary moments. And some of those moments that are closest to my heart are the children I work with through my foundation, they're facing life-threatening diseases. To be a part of their lives is a gift and a daily validation.

Q. What is your mantra?
A. Life is meant for living. Carpe Diem – seize the day – make your life extraordinary!

Q. Speaking of living...can you recommend a realistic workout for busy women?
Absolutely! I hope your readers are ready to get in shape for summer. Here's one of my workout videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment